The 2021 America’s Cup is the upcoming edition of the America’s Cup yacht race. It will be contested by the winner of the 2017 America’s Cup, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, represented by their team, Emirates Team New Zealand, and the winner of the challenger selection series prior to the match. The “Challenger of Record”, a club that negotiates the racing protocol for the competition with the defender, is Circolo della Vela Sicilia who will be represented by their team Luna Rossa Challenge.
The event will take place in 2021
Entries for challengers open on 1 January 2018 and close on 30 June 2018 with late entries accepted until 31 December 2018. The America’s Cup World Series will be held in 2019 and 2020 with a Christmas regatta in December 2020. The Challenger series will be held in January and February 2021 with the America’s Cup match in March.
Prior to Emirates Team New Zealand winning the 35th America’s Cup in 2017, Oracle (the defender at the time) and the other four challengers had agreed a framework that would have seen them hold the 36th America’s Cup in 2019 and the 37th in 2021, with the existing 35th Cup class boats, AC50s, and a pre-selection America’s Cup World Series tournament with the same boats. However, Team New Zealand opted to not sign the framework agreement.
Circolo della Vela Sicilia is the “Challenger of Record” for the 36th America’s Cup. Their team, Luna Rossa Challenge, had previously lost to Emirates Team New Zealand in the 2000 America’s Cup and the 2007 and 2013 Louis Vuitton Cup finals.
Ben Ainslie Racing and the New York Yacht Club have confirmed they will enter, led by Ben Ainslie and Terry Hutchinson respectively.
The Cup could be sailed in New Zealand’s Hauraki Gulf, on the East Coast of the North Island and based in Auckland City’s Waitematā Harbour as the venue. Italy has been announced as the backup venue.
The Cup will be sailed in 75 foot foiling monohulls. The boats are expected to have requirements around the boats being “constructed in country”.
Teams are allowed to build two boats each.
Twenty percent of sailors in each team must have passports from that country. The rest must meet a residency requirement: they must reside in that team’s country for 380 days from 1 September 2018 to 1 September 2020.
- Steve Mair, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, Commodore; Agostino Randazzo Randazzo, Circolo della Vela Sicilia, Commodore (26 June 2017). “XXXVI America’s Cup. Circolo della Vela Sicilia Challenger of Record with Luna Rossa”. Luna Rossa Challenge.
- “Press Release”. Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron. 19 July 2017.
- “Grant Dalton to reveal America’s Cup plans in two weeks”. The New Zealand Herald. 27 June 2017.
- “Team NZ promise new America’s Cup boat will be ‘the future of monohull sailing'”. Stuff.
- 35th America’s Cup Organization. “The Future of the America’s Cup”.
- Clarey, Christopher (29 September 2017). “America’s Cup Will Return to Monohulls in 2021” – via www.nytimes.com.
- France, Marvin (27 June 2017). “Auld Mug headed back to Auckland as next America’s Cup takes shape”. Stuff.co.nz.
- “Here’s where the next America’s Cup could take place”. The New Zealand Herald. 27 June 2017.
- “Recap: America’s Cup 2021 rules reveal”. Stuff.
- “Sailing: Monohulls confirmed for next America’s Cup”. The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
“Team New Zealand confirm they will strengthen nationality component for next America’s Cup”. Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
Do you have any updates on this or any other information that our readers might enjoy? please sent them to us, thank you. ><a href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org</a>
I’m seeking partners that know how to build WordPress Pages. Your job is to build a word press page and send to me. Once approved it will be published here and you will be paid. I have not figured out how much I can afford to pay yet? Drop me a line and tell me what you would charge / possible with graphics. Thank you. email@example.com</a>>
At present I am receiving no income from this website, and never have. But now I am offering advertising so hopefully we will grow and have some income to keep this site going.